they've always told me I should write a book of my random thoughts

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Smug

It has been a long time coming, but finally in my last semester at Auburn, I understand what's going on in my classes. It makes sense that if your serum reacts with "A1" cells then you have "B" blood type, and that insulin attaches to your cells which is what allows the glucose to go in so that glycogen stores increase, and that allergies are an hypersensitivity response mediated mostly by mast cells and basophils. It just makes sense to me. Well, it doesn't quite make sense to everyone in my classes, which is unfortunate in classes that consists on 20 people or less. A few (mainly 2 or 3) of the people in my class already think I'm a little sorority snob... I don't think it's because I've ever done anything to them... I've never been rude... I've never acted like I was better than they are because I'm in a sorority... I've never acted like I was rich, or have money to blow... sometimes I'm nicer to them than actual friends. But they still think I'm snob, or at least that's the impression they give. Well now, since I've begun to finally understand everything, I get the impression that they think I'm a smug know-it-all, which I might act like, but I really don't mean to. I simply answer the questions that our teacher asks us, I challenge things that don't make sense, I figure out which antibody is in the serum faster than anyone else, and I do make higher on the test, quizzes, and lab reports than most everyone else. But all of this isn't because I'm a smug know-it-all, it's because I'm a dork that likes the subject and studies constantly. This might come as a surprise to some, but I'm not a born genius... I'm simply a dork that has nothing better to do with her time. And they're making me feel bad that I understand it and actually study the material almost every night (okay, well every-other night) and sometimes it feels they want me to apologize to them for answering the questions. But I'm not going to apologize because I work my butt off to understand. I'm not going to apologize because I don't go out every other night like they do. And I'm not going to apologize that I'm slightly anal retentive and a perfectionist when it comes to doing class work. It's their fault that they haven't prioritized the things in their life to make better grades, because they're all (well, okay, most of them) are capable of making the same thing that I do. So, I'm going to continue to be smug and answer all the questions, and occassionally correct my teacher when she gets confused with the logic of antibody screening (now, that sounds a little smuggish). Because one day when after I graduate with better grades than they do and understand and remember what we learned, I'm going to be the director of the lab that they are working for and then I might just stick up my nose and be smug. Because I've decided that I can't change what they think of me. They will always think that I'm a smug know-it-all sorority snob. So, I might as well live up to their expectations!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home